"Everything rises or falls on leadership."
John Maxwell
______________

"The scope and scale of the ability to Lead is defined by the demonstration of the commitment to Serve."
J E Garr III


----------
'The leader of the past was a person who told,’ Peter Drucker once said. ‘The leader of the future will be a person who asks.’
Robert Kramer, director, exec ed programs, American University

-------------------

"Leadership is about change. It’s about taking people from where they are now to where they need to be. The best way to get people to venture into unknown terrain is to make it desirable by taking them there in their imaginations.”
Noel Tichy, "The Leadership Engine"

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Back Again...

Well, I've made it back from my vacation time. I must tell you, it was a refreshing break...and thanks to those of you who asked about my time off. I appreciate your interest.

While vacationing, I had numerous opportunities to reflect on almost every aspect of my life...both personal and professional. (There is something about sitting atop the Rockies at 5:30 a.m. on a large rock overlooking the Arkansas River, facing east as the sun rises over the towering rock formations in front of you....that seem to put many things in perspective.)There are definitely some things there that I think I need to address. While I'll leave the personal things out, there are some professional things that I think other may benefit from hearing about....so over the course of time, I'll try to share a few of those things that I think should change and how I plan to go about it....of course this is an open Blog....so suggestions are always welcome.

The Integrated Data Framework (IDF) project is occupying quite a number of staffers' time presently and I don't see that going away any time soon. Integrating our data across the entire Agency is a good thing. This endeavor will allow access to up to date data from all corners of the Agency. While we may presently have such data, it is often is silos and not readily accessible. As Conservation, as a whole, grows beyond being more than just Hunting and Fishing organizations, timely/accurate data will assist in making faster more informed decisions. I can even envision a future that could include the networking of others into such a framework. Other State Agencies, other Conservation groups, etc....all in an effort to provide the latest, best information relative to the subject matter. This project is perhaps the groundwork to such a future.
-ON another note, we are short a Programmer in our Application Development group. We are hoping to fill this position with a person that embodies much of what we have been talking about here over the course of time. It's hard for State Agencies to compete salary wise with the private sector, but I feel if we can provide the other intangibles and a working environment that embraces change and rewards quality work...then we can attract the right people. Our work here is more than just writing code (in this case)....it's about Moving Conservation Forward. I'm anxious to bring the person who thinks along those lines...on board.
TAFN

No comments: