"Everything rises or falls on leadership."
John Maxwell
______________

"The scope and scale of the ability to Lead is defined by the demonstration of the commitment to Serve."
J E Garr III


----------
'The leader of the past was a person who told,’ Peter Drucker once said. ‘The leader of the future will be a person who asks.’
Robert Kramer, director, exec ed programs, American University

-------------------

"Leadership is about change. It’s about taking people from where they are now to where they need to be. The best way to get people to venture into unknown terrain is to make it desirable by taking them there in their imaginations.”
Noel Tichy, "The Leadership Engine"

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Is Motivation Your Problem or Mine?

Recent exposure to a Carnegie Mellon University Lecture Series (Journeys) has me thinking...and asking several questions. Questions that not only affect me personally and professionally, but also questions and thoughts about the qualities of people that I'd like to have on staff. One particular lecture, “Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams” by Randy Pausch, really hit home with me.

The lecture and subsequent book talks of celebrating the dreams we all strive to make realities. It urged me to think about my dreams (goals) and how those dreams have helped shaped me into the professional that I am today. I'd urge all of you that have the time to listen in on Randy's lecture (via the above link) to do so. It's truly a thoughtful, articulate, moving presentation. My hope is that it will challenge you to think BACK and thus in turn think FORWARD about who you are, what you are, and where you are heading. A significant point here is that your motivation is important.

Your motivation is what defines you...in every aspect of your life; personal AND professional. I believe that your dreams/goals motivate you to be who you are. My question to you would be: Are you who you want to be right now? I would also offer that whether you are...who you want to be right now is evident to those around you. Your work ethic, your initiative, and your motivation gives signals of whether or not you are who and where you want to be. Your work will reflect that.

Without getting any more philosophical than I already have....I want to leave you with two distinct thoughts/quotes from Mr Pausch that I felt really defined some things:
1) "Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things." and
2) On the topic of critique/criticism and direction: "When you are screwing up and nobody is saying anything to you anymore---it means they've given up on you." So, in essence, view input/critique as beneficial...that mere fact means that someone cares enough about you to offer that guidance. (paradigm shift...!)

Again, if you're inclined and the least bit interested, give the video a look-see...I believe it to be worth your time.

TAFN

No comments: