"Everything rises or falls on leadership."
John Maxwell
______________

"The scope and scale of the ability to Lead is defined by the demonstration of the commitment to Serve."
J E Garr III


----------
'The leader of the past was a person who told,’ Peter Drucker once said. ‘The leader of the future will be a person who asks.’
Robert Kramer, director, exec ed programs, American University

-------------------

"Leadership is about change. It’s about taking people from where they are now to where they need to be. The best way to get people to venture into unknown terrain is to make it desirable by taking them there in their imaginations.”
Noel Tichy, "The Leadership Engine"

Friday, May 4, 2007

Friday TS View

Today is Friday in our world of MDC IT work. On Friday's I often reflect back on the weeks work and ask myself...."Did you move Conservation forward this week?" Tough question sometimes as the answer is not always evident in the work I do nowadays. Years ago, it was easy for me to answer....Heck yea, I planted 100 acres of corn in Pool 1....the Mallards will be better for it in November.....or Yep, I got SE Regions computers up and running and now they can do their resource work faster so they can get more done---Conservation was better.

But, again I wonder how is my success or failure measured today? What difference do I make? More importantly what changes can I maker personally to ensure the answers to the questions are Yes I am successful and Yes Conservation is better..... Not always easy from where I set...my work is done through others and many times, my efforts are directed at helping make people "better." Attempts to broaden a (or THE) thought process, attempts to help troubleshoot a technical problem, trying to "grow" them.....many an abstract thought there I think. How do I, or anyone for that matter, measure my performance that an employee is better because of my efforts? Certainly I don't want or NEED clones of myself---in fact that's the last thing I want. But surely there is something about me that is good to emulate---or so I would hope....

I think I've decided the best way to measure my success and the tasks I have at hand now are to look around and answer the question---Is Conservation moving forward because of my efforts? If I can answer that question to the affirmative then in my mind, I'm on the right track.

How about you? How do you measure your impact....your success? Are you moving Conservation forward?....Everyday?

TAFN

No comments: