"Everything rises or falls on leadership."
John Maxwell
______________

"The scope and scale of the ability to Lead is defined by the demonstration of the commitment to Serve."
J E Garr III


----------
'The leader of the past was a person who told,’ Peter Drucker once said. ‘The leader of the future will be a person who asks.’
Robert Kramer, director, exec ed programs, American University

-------------------

"Leadership is about change. It’s about taking people from where they are now to where they need to be. The best way to get people to venture into unknown terrain is to make it desirable by taking them there in their imaginations.”
Noel Tichy, "The Leadership Engine"

Monday, May 7, 2007

Moneys Worth?

Had a little time this weekend to think/reflect....one of the best times for me to do that is when I'm mowing the lawn. Nothing to worry about there but straight lines, so I have a solid hour to just think. One of the things I was thinking about was related to an earlier blog about value and what we bring to the table for MDC. So continuing my thinking along those lines, I got to thinking about what folks within our IT group are getting paid.....seems there's a lot of money tied up in IT salaries.

Many folks within this group are getting paid significantly more than other MDC employees with more years experience in this Agency and training specifically related to the work we are constitutionally mandated to do---that is Fish, Forest, and Wildlife Management. Some folks who are not considered Managers, supervise no one, have no fiscal responsibility are paid more than others who do. Why? I asked myself. Is the value really there for MDC, for these folks?

I would venture a guess that if you would query those individuals, they would relate that they are worth every penny---they do what they are paid to do---they work hard, etc, etc. But, do they?? Are they really moving Conservation forward? Just being reliable showing up to work and doing what you are told to do by someone whom supervises you doesn't meet that litmus test in my mind. Why should you paid more than most and still have to be told what to do, how to do it, and when it should be done? Where is the value in that?

I believe the value in employees is when they can think on their own, independent of having to be told specifically what has to be done and when. They have trained animals in a circus that is able to do that! The ability to learn from past mistakes and being able to prevent similar things from recurring is something everyone could/should be able to do. Putting on blinders and only seeing the task at hand IS NOT adding value, IMHO. I don't see people in their private lives exhibiting that behavior---they make a banking mistake that costs them some money and BAM, that never happens again. They make mistakes in their home life and learn valuable lessons from that mistake....those mistakes are not made again, typically. There are exceptions to every rule of course....

So what's in this for me? As a paid Manager for this group, I honestly believe it is mandated that I ensure we (the company) are getting what we've paid for. Are we paying for mediocrity? I think most in this Agency would answer no to that question. OK, so if we're not paying for mediocrity are we getting what we pay for? That is my question.

My answer, ....I think not. Now, that observance isn't limited to our group, but my supervisor authority is. So, I will re-evaluating who is doing what, what we are paying them, their contributions to IT/MDC, etc. Frankly just because you've worked here a long time, doesn't mean you should earn more money than me---You must be adding value and be helping move Conservation forward. This job requires a thought process, we don't need robots or trained Monkeys. I'm thinking if you make twice as much as me, then you should be twice as valuable...your work should reflect that...your thought process should be better, quicker, more refined...you should make fewer mistakes....you shouldn't have to be told the basics...you shouldn't have to be reminded time and time again of the same errors.

The ability to grow mentally is critical to where we help lead MDC from a technology perspective in the future. We need people who can (AND DO) THINK---think outside what they are being told...question if we are doing the right thing...in the right way. Learn from mistakes...push themselves to be better, technically, to improve skill sets period. Perhaps a question to ask is...."What have I done in the past year to improve who I am in Conservation?" ...have I pushed myself ?... What sets me apart from others? Why am I more important to Conservation that someone they can bring in off the streets tomorrow for less money?

Bottom Line = Am I worth what they are paying me?.... That question, my friends, requires your serious thought...because I guarantee you, if others are not asking that question about you right now....likely they will very soon! It just makes sense.

TAFN

No comments: