"Everything rises or falls on leadership."
John Maxwell
______________

"The scope and scale of the ability to Lead is defined by the demonstration of the commitment to Serve."
J E Garr III


----------
'The leader of the past was a person who told,’ Peter Drucker once said. ‘The leader of the future will be a person who asks.’
Robert Kramer, director, exec ed programs, American University

-------------------

"Leadership is about change. It’s about taking people from where they are now to where they need to be. The best way to get people to venture into unknown terrain is to make it desirable by taking them there in their imaginations.”
Noel Tichy, "The Leadership Engine"

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Service Opportunities

Not everyday do I hear from our customers....but it is most days. Almost without fail, I learn something from each and everyone of these interactions.

Today I received a call from the field that had to do with the recent implementation of printer duplex. The caller lead me to believe that our configuration of the device was incorrect...in that the documents were printing on the short edge and not the long edge. More information about the duplex change was discussed, including has this been discussed with our first line of support....the IT Help desk? Of course an ever vigilant TS Supervisor would of course deal with the issue and get it resolved post haste....

SO, the first thing I do is make contact with our Help desk staff and ask them to confirm the existing configuration of the sites printers. Ever dutiful staff drop everything and begin on this quest.... During the ongoing investigation, I stop in the Desktop Managers office and profess some of my thoughts about technical support and service levels. I even express some of my concern about who does what in our little corner of MDC. (He's played this game before and listens intently to my ramblings...and says something to the effect of yes, perhaps you're right). After a short walk back to my office, an email appears from the Help desk with the facts.

The printers are configured as they are supposed to be!

My takeaways:
1) Think first, open mouth later
2) Give staff benefit of doubt until they prove unworthy of the arrangement, and
3) Perhaps we could do a better job of touching base with our customers after "significant" projects/work items are completed in field. To check pulse, to gauge success, and to report results.

I promise to work on my end, if you will promise to work on yours....

TAFN

No comments: